The life and times of an aspiring fashionista living in the Lower East Side.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday the 13th Luck on the 12th

Last night's plans were very exciting; I was sure it was going to be a memorable night.

Last night's agenda was as follows:

8:00 PM Go to the Summer BBQ at Milk Studios
9:30 PM See Courtney Love (with the Misshapes djing) in concert
12:00 PM Birthday party at the Cake Shop

As soon as I got off of work, I ran to catch the F train (instead of my regular walking home routine of the summer). I should have known something was up after the 30 minute wait, then being forced to take the B to Grand Street then walking the rest of the way home. The afternoon was especially hot, so I took a few minutes to cool down before morphing into somewhat of a "Rock-N-Roll" outfit for the Courtney concert. Before I left my apartment, I was already getting multiple texts from Stacy, Yan-Szi, and Nick asking when I was getting to the bbq.

I met Sarah at the Delancey Stop and then ventured to the Meatpacking District to get our night started. Nick and one of Sarah's friends met us on 8th Avenue and we walked to the Milk together. As I approached Milk, I noticed Karen O and Nick Zinner from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs coming out of the bar next to Milk with friends.



As we approached Milk, I could tell it was a madhouse. Before I could even give the guy at the door my name, my friend Stacy who was at the street curb me by the arm and told me that it wasn't worth going inside. I could see frustration all over her face. Before I knew it, the rest of the Old Le Book crew was walking out the big glass doors with pissed off looks on their faces. I could see how crowded it was from the corner so we opted not to go in either.

No use in crying over spilled Milk... or beer, so we (Yan Szi, Nick, Sarah, and I) decided to go stand in line for the free Courtney Love concert. Nick and I were like two giddy school girls because whether we knew it or not, I think we had both been waiting to see Love since 6th grade.

As we approached Hiro, we saw the line wrapped around the block... and then another block... and then another. Our rationality blinded by excitement, we decided to wait in line... for 3 hours! After 3 hours of waiting and being soooo close, but sooo far away, we left.

Nick headed home and YanSzi and Sarah and I headed to the LES to meet Don at the CakeShop for his friend's birthday party. When we got off the train, the LES felt much more calm compared to the homeless and hooplah of our 3 hours in Chelsea. We walked into an EMPTY cakeshop. After being told that the party was downstairs, we all headed down expecting a PARTY. What we experienced, however was 3 people and blaring rap music. A little depressed for the birthday girl, we treated ourselves to gin and tonics and a piece of vegan peanut butter bomb.

Don met us upstairs and we finished our drinks. YanSzi went home and Sarah, Don, and I went to some sort of motorcycle themed bar up the street....and WHO should I see again but the guy from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs! Nick and his friends (minus Karen O. were sitting right next to us on one of the couches) At this point, it was pretty late in the night/early in the morning, so I thought it would be a great idea to get everyone to stay up and out with me until I had to catch a cab for the airport to CHICAGO for pitchfork.

When the bar closed, Sarah and I decided to catch a cab home.

I slept in my clothes (and sandals) for an hour before running out the door to catch a cab to the airport....

Sometimes New York nights with bad luck can be good nights after all.

No comments:

Blog Archive